Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth. Serve the LORD with gladness; come before Him with joyful singing. Know that the LORD Himself is God; it is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him, bless His name. For the LORD is good; His loving-kindness is everlasting, and His faithfulness to all generations.
Psalm 100
I love that Psalm so much! It might be the one I read most often. I think it enters in all aspects of worship; shout joyfully, serve with gladness, come with singing, know God, be thankful, etc. I just love it!!
In the last 2 days, I have found myself thanking God often for the things in my life. I have 3 of the greatest best friends on the planet, and I don't know if I have ever had friends like this! First, there is Abby! She has taught me that the Christian life is not meant to be done alone and it's ok to ask for help. She has made me realize that you don't seem 'weak' by asking for help, but the contrary, that you are strong enough to say I can't do this on my own. She has taught me how I need to rely on others when I don't have the strength to fight in this life alone. Then there is Leah! Leah has taught me about being strong in the word. She has shown me that you have to work in this life and that we are in a spiritual battle. We cannot survive without the word in our hearts and we have to always be ready to give a defense for the hope that is in us. (1 Peter 3:15). Lastly, there is Tara! She has taught me that love is such a vital thing in life. She has shown me that you can rely on others and have the knowledge but without love, our faith is nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:13). She has taught me, that even if you don't say a word, just being silent with someone and praying over them could be the healing they need. Now, you are probably thinking, Amber, you grew up in church, how are you just now learning this stuff? And you're right, I did grow up in church, but these three (3) extraordinary woman are showing me tangibly how to exibit each of those aspects into daily life.
Then I have been thanking God for my incredible family. All my life, I knew I was blessed to have the family that I have, but never more so than recently. See, with this whole Africa thing, I have seen the support of my family like never before. They have supported me with their time, talents, money, and possessions in a way that blew my mind. See, I will support my family in anything they do and will give up ANYTHING for them, but growing up I always wondered if they would do the same for me. I realize now, I never had anything going on in my life that they needed to support me on, so that is why I never really saw it until now. It has been overwhelming the love and prayers that each member of my family has shown. From the simplest ways of my oldest brother calling me to make sure I'm doing alright to my other brothers playing at my benefit concert. They have shown such an outpouring of love it unbelieveable. I am blessed beyond what I deserve!!!
Another thing I've been thanking God for is my health. Now, that sounds like a simple thing, but it's actually huge. There are a couple things that have contributed to this. I found out yesterday from my boss that his wife may have brain, breast, and skin cancer, on top of all the other medical problems she has had in the 2 years I've known them. My heart breaks hearing this story. I don't want to go into it online like this because it is their story not mine to share with the world, but it is taking so much out of them. My bosses wife is severely depressed and has said things along the lines of "it would be cheaper for you if I die, so just let it be" and that is a scary thing to hear. So as you are reading this, please say a prayer for this family! The other reason that I have been thanking God so much for my health is this. I am a self proclaimed blog-aholic! I just love reading them, because so many people are more eloquent with their words than I am. Well, for some reason in the last couple of months, the blogs that I have been landing on are these incredible families who are suffering and/or preparing for the lose of their baby. See, most of these baby have Trisomy-18, which is a genetic disorder that is fatal. Most babies don't live to see their due date, and the rest die shortly after birth. The longest life I've heard from one of these T-18 babies is 99 days. What is fascinating about these families is their unwavering faith. I have seen it happen to youth pastor family, senior pastor families, and numerous others. They live each day with such a solid faith in Jesus Christ, that although the unimaginable is happening, they are living in the moment and enjoy however long God gives this child to them. In the midst of the death, they are praising Christ. They are understanding a glimpse of Job, where it seems as if it is the worst situation, but God is sovereign and in control. I'm extremely blessed, one that I have my health and my family has theirs, but also that I have 3 beautiful nieces, and a handsome nephew, and there were never any problems. It's in the moments I read these blogs, that I am reminded of just how blessed I truly am. Please pray for these families as they are experiencing a pain I can't fathom, and hope never too!!
Something else I'm thanking God for is his financial provision in my life. I have the amazing opportunity to talk to 10 of the 15 people going on my Swaziland trip with me. I was surprised at how many of them are struggling with their support raising. I pray God throws open the flood gates of heaven for them and pours out so much blessing that they won't have enough room for it (Malachi 3:10). I have had the privilege of watching God work in the most random of ways as I prepare for this trip. Through the most random of sources, God has placed each gift before me and exceeded my expectations. Not only with my trip have I seen God working though. I have normal bills I need to pay in the next 3 months before my trip, and with my job coming to an end I was nervous about how it would play out. Well, I have paid off my credit card (which is HUGE), and I'm $300 away from paying off this semester in school!!! I am getting personal training sessions at my gym, so I can build up strength, endurance, and muscle before leaving on the trip, and I found out that I can't cancel those sessions until I finish the 24 that I signed up for. Now going into the sessions, I did not realize that, but by the grace of God, I'm not leaving my job as soon as I thought I was, so I should be able to work and get the $640 left I owe the gym for these sessions. It's in the smallest of ways that God is working out things in my life, even areas that I might not have been as good of a steward as I should be with my money.
So just to name a few ways here, I feel as if I'm the most blessed person ever. That is just skimming the surface too! I didn't go into my numerous other amazing friends who have impacted my life in unimaginable ways (such as Philip, Ryan, Jordan, Ruthie, Johnny, Melissa, Amy, Katie, Vernon, Michael, Bryan, Rachel, and so many others), or the simple blessings like a house, bed, clothes, car, etc. If I was to just sit and write down every detail of my blessings, we'd be here for hours, but just know, as I have realized, that I need not forget the ways God is working in my life.
I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonders. I will be glad and exult in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High.
Psalm 9: 1-2
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This here comment box works! Haha.
Well, It was cool to hear what you had to say. OR rather, I guess read, what you had to say.
But I can't think of anything else to say.
Welcome to Blogspot- even though I dont have one. =)
Post a Comment