Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Who am I?

Who am I? This is a question I have considered in the past. In Psychology today, however, I realized it's much deeper than just pondering. Carl Rogers, who is the warm, fuzzy, teddy bear of Psychology (and the one I agreed more with) believes that our self concept included all the thoughts and feelings we have in response to this question and if our self concept is positive we tend to view the world as positive and to respond to the world in a positive fashion or vice versa.

So once again, who am I? Well, yeah, I'm Amber. But what else? As I have thought about this, I have come up with the following. I am a Christian, a daughter, a grand-daughter, a sister to 7, an aunt to 5, a friend, a leader, a mentor, a student, a psych major, an admin. Scripture also tells me I am a saint (1 Cor. 1:2). I am the righteousness of God (2 Cor. 5:21). I have been crucified with Christ (Gal. 2:20). I am a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17). Who I am has so many facets and will continue to change. One day I hope to add that I'm a wife, a mother, a grandmother, a college graduate and so much more. Hopefully I'll be a college graduate before I'm a grandmother, but you know what I mean.

As I look at my list and think about what Carl Rogers said, I think he is generally true. It's the whole optimism idea. Optimistic people always see the glass half full, and pessimists see it half empty. So depending on the way you view yourself and situations concerning you, you have that as your worldview. I think though, that if we can change your view of self and situations concerning you, we can change your worldview and outlook. Although I'm only a week into my psych class, so don't take my word on it.

No comments: