Friday, January 29, 2010

Hierarchy of Needs

So I came to Starbucks tonight to do my Psychology studying since I have a test on Tuesday and even with headphones in, I can't get focused due to this couple next to me who is obviously on a first date. I can tell because of the awkwardness, the guys' "game", the girls stand off demeanor, and the "get to know you" questions. It's so frustrating. I mean, do you have to be so loud that everyone is disturbed?

Ok, so I had to get that off my chest before going on. Ha! Back to my purpose for being at Starbucks; Psychology studying. I am so fascinated by this class and what I'm studying. I think that is a good thing since Psych is my major. I don't agree with some of the things taught so far, which I figured would be the case, but then other things make logical sense. See, Abraham Maslow has this belief about the hierarchy of needs each person has. It starts with physiological needs, such a the need to satisfy hunger and thirst. This is the most basic need of every human and will override most other needs. Second on the hierarchy is safety needs. The need to feel safe, secure and stable whether emotionally or physically. Third is love and belonging. The need to love and be loved by at least one other person, to belong and feel accepted by someone, and the need to avoid loneliness and alienation. Fourth need on the hierarchy is the esteem needs. The need for self esteem, achievement, competence and independence. It's a need for recognition and respect from others. Lastly, the fifth is the need for self actualization. The need to live up ones fullest and most unique potential. I see so much truth in that.

In fact, going off of what I just shared, think about international missions for a minute. Now I've been overseas twice for a fairly decent amount of time, plus numerous mission trips to Mexico in high school. I think in a case like that, this holds so much truth. Especially on short term trips, the goal is to go in, get a bunch of people saved and go home. Now, from living in Swaziland, I saw a whole different approach to ministry. If you have not fed the children, the odds of them paying any attention is not likely. So our first mission was to feed the kids at the care points. After that, they need to know that you are not going to up and leave them. They need to know that you are safe and not going to hurt them. A lot of those kids that I interacted with came from abusive homes, in every form possible, and the kids had no sense of security. You couldn't get them to listen if you didn't first make them realize you are safe. Now, once they know you are a safe place and their basic needs for food, drink, etc is met, they need to know you love them. Again, most of the kids did not have a place to go. They slept in the dump every night and fight for food, they had no parents and in some cases even older siblings were not what they needed to be because they were mirroring what they saw in their parents (another psychology point, but I won't go into that). We had to show them we loved them. Now, especially for the "teenagers", those who are 13-16 years old, they didn't know what a safe "love" was because anytime they felt love it was not love at all. A lot of the kids, both boy and girl, heard love as rape and prostitution. We had to show them that we love them and care for them because they are precious children and that God loves them more than we could. That all needed to be done before we could even start sharing the truths of the gospel and that basic picture of what it looks like. I just find that so interesting.

What are your thoughts on this?

No comments: